The Black Cat farm booth at the Boulder Farmers’ Market included the following produce on October 12, 2013:
- Asian stir fry mix
- Baby bok choy
- Braising mix
- Butter lettuce
- Green bell peppers
- Kale mix
- Kale (Russian)
- Jerusalem artichokes
- Lettuce mix
- Mesclun mix of baby lettuces
- Mustard green mix
- Perpetual spinach
- Rapini, purple
- Red lettuce mix
- Storage onions, loose and in 3-pound bags
- Swiss chard
- Turnips (Hakurei, Hinona Kabu, Magenta)
Non-produce items available consisted of chicken eggs, pork pate and terrine, and Mulefoot pork cuts.
Arrivals and departures
Coming this weekend are salsify and parsnips. Departing for the year are green bell peppers and, probably, tomatoes.
Jerusalem artichoke preparation
- Wash and peel the Jerusalem artichokes.
- In a saucepan, add artichokes and water to cover them. Turn the burner to high.
- When the water boils, drain the artichokes and discard the water.
- Return the artichokes to the saucepan, add water, and repeat the boiling and blanching.
- After two repetitions, re-add the artichokes, add fresh water to cover them, add salt so that the water tastes like the ocean, and boil the artichokes until they are tender.
- Remove the saucepan from the burner and drain the artichokes.
- Cut the Jerusalem artichokes into pieces and proceed with your recipe.